Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pinterest: The adult way to create an imaginary world....


Recently, ALL (and when I say all, I mean all!) of my friends have been using a new "Internet" verb; pinning (and for those of you that don't know what this word is referring to, it has nothing to do with real needles or pins). So, while I like to be the rebel and not give in to every trendy new thing out there on our all consuming world wide web, I finally caved in and began exploring Pinterest, to see what all of the fuss was about.
It turns out that it is every girls (and some boys) fantasy world played out in pictures! The body every girl wishes to one day have, the best looking and most creative food, inspirational and funny quotes, everything you could ever need to plan a wedding, and so much more! I was amazed!
And while I, myself, still do not have a Pinterest account (so that I do not get seriously addicted) I have visited the site a number of times since my first encounter. This immediate addiction got me thinking, people see the things on this website as aspirational and fantasies, what if a company was able to get their product up on this type of website (in a good light). This website has persuaded many people I know, as well as around the world in general, to begin using the products displayed, and making the food, etc. already; what if marketers could use this website to persuade consumer behavior in their favor?

No comments:

Post a Comment